- Ubuntu - Jaunty Jackalope
- 64 bit Architecture
- Download the "Linux Binary Installer - Linux x86_64" of ApacheDS from http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/download/download-linux-bin.html.
- Change the permissions of the file as follows.
chmod u+x apacheds-1.5.5-x86_64.bin
- Change to root and run the installer as follows. I picked the default proposed installation directories.
- Now the task is to locate the "startp script". If you picked the defaults while installing, it can be found in the /etc/init.d directory. Search for a file containing the name *apacheds*. In my case the start-up script was renamed as "apacheds-1.5.5-default". Now give the command as following as root.
Initially when I tried to install, I faced the following problem since the start-up script was renamed to "apacheds-1.5.5-default". This trivial information was lacking in the "Apache DS Basic User Guide".
/etc/init.d/apacheds: No such file or directory